Okay, so Facebook has me thinking lately. We all use it. We all spend way too much time on it, when we could be, I don’t know, cleaning/playing/cooking/sleeping/reading/sunning/______(insert anything else remotely more productive than snooping on your friends’ and acquaintances’ and not-so-friends’ lives).
But there are some things that just shouldn’t be done. We all know that you can block people. And defriend them. And if it goes over a line, you can report them. But in the grand scheme of things, why in the world would you….
* Post a minutely update on your life. I’m glad you just showered. I’m glad you’re now out of the shower. I’m even more glad that you put clothes on after getting out of the shower before answering the door. That’s wonderful. But it’s not necessary to post minute by minute updates of your daily activities.
* Posting lovingly about your spouse and how they went above and beyond doing the dishes, helping with the laundry, and cooking dinner. Daily. I’m sorry, but if they do something extraordinary, that’s cool. But posting daily/weekly about how many wonderful excellent things that your spouse or significant other has done gets tiring. And it gets AWish. I get it. They’re amazing. Humble bragging about doing your job as a parent/spouse is just annoying.
Oh em gee, my hubby is the sweetest. He sat there and changed a baby’s diaper, put his clothes in the laundry so I could wash them later, and while I was miserable with the flu set the table so I could finish hand prepping a three course meal. And let’s not forget he took child #3 to baseball so I didn’t have to take the other 10. What a guy!!!
* Pinterest-worthy creations every 10 minutes of the day. I’ll be the first to brag if I actually manage to accomplish a sweetheart covered door wreath for Valentines, or when I finally complete my faux-chenille baby blanket that I’ve been wanting to make. But all day every day posting creations you’ve made and copied that make you look like such a better mother/wife/friend? Overboard. The person who you made it for will probably enjoy it more if it’s a simple gift with no praise required, than if you post it all over the internet about how amazing you were.
* Duck Lips. One is funny. Two, eh. Multiple duck lips profile pictures changing daily? Too much.
* Hash tags. I’m sorry. I don’t get it. I understand it’s an instagram thing. Maybe a #atthebeach and maybe a #sweetkids but not
#suchsweetchildren #atthebeach #inthesand #bikinisforlyfe #sunandsand #toomanywordsinthisoneicantfigureitout #whydoesntthisletmeusepunctuation
In the brilliant words of an online meme:
And on that note? Not every meme created needs to be shared. And they definitely don’t need to be shared multiple times plus sent to individuals’ walls. I’ll be the first to admit I’m guilty of reposting more than my fair share, but I promise I’m working on it.
What bugs you???