Our Story – Part 4

So the morning of June 20th arrived. True to the daily schedule, I woke up around 5:45am and knew the docs were going to come in soon. They did their rounds, and I hung out, and then I realized I needed to go to the bathroom. I started getting out of bed, and something felt… different. On the way to the restroom, I felt like I might not be able to make it, and when I got there: my water broke! I hadn’t had that with Aiden, so I started laughing, and I called out to my roommate to page a nurse. Yes, there was an emergency call button in the bathroom, but I didn’t really feel like it was an emergency persay. I mean, I WAS in the hospital already, right?!

So she calls the nurse, they come in, and they freak thinking that the call button was broken. No, I just didn’t use it! They proceed to check and make sure there’s no baby yet, get me on a wheel chair, and wheel me to the bed. I’m laughing and clapping the whole time. My belly felt better already even with just that little pressure relieved. In the middle of that, I called hubby. He was already dropping Aiden off at our awesome friend’s house who was going to watch him while hubby worked that day. So he drove faster, dropped him off, and headed to the hospital. In the middle of that I called the boat (submarine) and told his department head that Steven wouldn’t be making it in that morning. He was going to have some babies! I didn’t want hubby to worry about making that phone call while driving down the road at what was probably a faster-than-acceptable speed.

Imagine this: there are about 5 nurses around me not really sure what to do at this time. Two are kinda nervous. Two are calm as can be. A couple decide there are too many people in the room and leave. They bring in a baby bassinet station (I guess in case I delivered a baby in there?? Not sure how that would help as there’s more than one). They got me on a monitor for baby A (which it turns out wasn’t the one whose water had broken, so again, not really effective). Lol. It was quite amusing to me.

So my doctor comes in, and looks at me, relieves me by reassuring me we are NOT going to stop the labor and try to hold off any more, that today would be the day. He checked me. I was 5 cm. Asked if I wanted to try a vaginal delivery. We had considered it up until the night before. After already having contractions for 12 hours, though? Not so much. I was done. Especially with only being 5 cm. SO I told him so, and they got me wheeled to L&D. Once there, they drew more blood. Put in more IVs (we were up to 11 or 12 by the time I left). And got me set up for the c-section. Benefits of it being first thing in the morning? I hadn’t eaten, and the nurse staff had just changed over, so we were set to go. I apologize for whoever was set up for a scheduled c-section at 9 that morning, because I stole your room.

Steven showed up shortly after, donned his scrubs (over the Navy uniform), and we put on our Gator scrub caps. We were off! Honestly, the worst part about the whole thing was getting the spinal, while sitting with 64 inches of belly, and trying not to fall off the table. I laid down, they got the drape up, and before I knew it, they were saying that the incision was being made at 9:11am. Time flew past, and all of a sudden I heard a baby and Jacen was born at 9:18am. Jaina was born at 9:19am. Valerie was also born at 9:19 am. Steven still can’t get over what it looked like just seeing baby after baby come out. We kept joking that there wasn’t another, right? And there we have it. How the Hunt triplets took us from a family of three to a family of six, in less than 2 minutes.

2 thoughts on “Our Story – Part 4

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *